MAJOR LOCATIONS IN BULGARIA
Underwater archaeological surveys have discovered amphoras from the Late Antiquity (4th–6th century) and import red-polished pottery made in Constantinople, Syria and North Africa, which indicates prospering trade in the area at the time. The city's southern peninsula has remains of a medieval fortress.
The town was first mentioned as Vasiliko by the 12th-century Arab geographer Muhammad al-Idrisi. Whether it existed during the First Bulgarian Empire is unknown. In the 15th and 16th century, Vasilikoz was an Ottoman port. According to 17th-century traveller Evliya Çelebi, in 1662 the town Vasilikoz Burgas comprised a square fortress on a ridge overlooking the Black Sea surrounded by plenty of vineyards. Although its cove was suitable even for the largest of ships, it was usually avoided by the seamen because it offered little protection from the powerful eastern winds.
The old town was located in the southern part of the cove, where the modern quarter of Tsarevo is called Vasiliko. In the first half of the 19th century, Vasiliko had a marine of 42 ships. There were 10 windmills and a watermill in the vicinity, and the nearby vineyards produced up to 6,000 pails of wine a year. There was a Greek school which was also visited by many Bulgarians, contributing to their partial Hellenization.
In 1882, a fire destroyed almost the entire town, forcing the locals to re-establish the city on a new site, on the peninsula of the northern cove called Limnos. In 1903, the new Vasiliko had 150 houses, but other statistics list 460 houses in 1898 (160 Bulgarian and 300 Greek) and 240 Greek-only houses in 1900.
After the village was ceded to Bulgaria in 1913, following the Balkan Wars, its Greek population moved to Greece and was replaced by Bulgarians from Eastern Thrace. In 1926, Vasiliko had 409 households. After a new wharf was constructed in 1927–1937 with the financial aid of Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria, the town was renamed to Tsarevo (a literal Bulgarian translation of Vasiliko, "royal place") in his honour.
Today Tsarevo is among the most visited south Black sea resorts. The resort offers great hospitality, perfect service, lots of attractions and a rich market with fresh vegetables, locally grown. Very pleasant is an evening walk along the port over the pier, a walk in the town’s coast park or a walk to the bay where Uspenie Bogorodichno church is situated.
The small and cozy resort offers a lot of entertainment especially for families with kids.
There are numerous restaurants which offer Bulgarian national and international cuisine, fish delicates and many other good choices of food.
The central beach of the town is small, but surrounded by picturesque trees from the town’s park.
The vicinity of the town is checkered with green coastal sites, which have preserved its virgin beauty. You can even come across rare and plants under protection. Close to the town is Papia peak - the highest peak on Strandja elevation (502m).
Remains from an ancient fortress can be found on this green forestry peak.
Not far from Tsarevo are two of the most visited camp sites - Nestinarka and Arapia.
If you have any questions contact our BULGARIAN PROPERTIES Burgas office:
Bulgarian Properties Ltd.
10 Vazrazhdane Str., fl. 4
Tel/fax: +359 56 828 449
View our offers in/near the resort of Tsarevo